In the UK, there is a huge demand for donor sperm, and this has lead to some patients having to go on very long waiting lists. The London Sperm Bank has grown to become one of the largest sperm banks in the UK and thanks to our donors we have successfully created 1,661 families through our parent clinic The London Women’s Clinic.
To our patients, donors are heroes because, without their help their beautiful family unit would not exist. Sperm donation is a vital part of a long journey that some women must take in order to have a family.
At The London Sperm Bank we are pleased to have a growing number of men coming forward from a variety of different backgrounds. Besides their desire to do something selfless and to help with the national shortage of sperm donors, these men tell us that they have chosen to come forward for a range of different reasons. Here are just a few:
- To pass on genes: Almost as an insurance policy, the knowledge that although not procreating themselves, genetic preservation seems like a satisfactory alternative.
- A safer alternative to co-parenting: As a HFEA licensed sperm bank we are governed and regulated by the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority. This means that issues such as legal parenthood of a child is safeguarded by the law, thus donors never have parental, legal or parental obligations.
- To put a smile on people’s faces: Some donors have been lucky to have procreated themselves and like the thought of giving someone else the joy they felt when they became a father.
There are many more reasons for becoming a donor, with each reason unique to the individual. It makes the recruitment process all the more fun for us!
The initial process is fairly simple, fill out an enquiry form on our website www.londonspermbank.com or call us on 020 7563 4305 to register an interest.
The basic requirements for sperm donation are as follows:
- Aged 18-41
- Healthy and free from infection
- A family history free of hereditary disease
- Agree to make up to 25 donations over a period of 3-6 months
The initial screening tests to join the program will be completed within the first two visits to the clinic and consists of a semen analysis and a blood and urine test. All visits to and from the clinic are reimbursed at £35 to cover any out of pocket expenses incurred.
Pass on your genes and make this year the year you choose to be someone’s hero. Make this year count.